Access Keys:

 
 
Annalong Primary School Kilkeel

History of School & Nursery Unit

Annalong Primary School was built in 1958 and replaced the old ‘church’ schools. On the existing grounds there was already a technical building used for cooking, sewing and mechanics. The school had four classrooms and a dining room to serve the meals brought from Kilkeel. When pupil numbers increased the Domestic Science room of the ‘tech’ was used for the Primary 1 classroom as all tech classes except sewing had been moved to Kilkeel. However, night classes in sewing continued to be held in the school until the opening of the Community Centre. A school dining hall was built in the late 70’s and meals were then prepared on the premises. In 2000 renovations were made to the ‘tech’. The existing classroom became a Nursery unit and the showers and changing rooms were transformed into another classroom. The Annalong Primary School Nursery Unit opened in September 2000.

The school has had four principals to date – Mr Kerns (1958 – 1970), Mr Walker (1970 – 1979), Mr Teggarty (1980 – 2000) and the current principal Mr Goucher. The teaching staff increased from four when the school opened to seven plus a non-teaching principal in the early 90s. The school and nursery currently employ seven teaching staff.

They are ably supported by an enthusiastic ancillary staff team.

 

A.P.S through the years